Show all calculations to get full credit where applicable.
1. A metal cube measures 8.60cm on edge and has a density of 11.4g/cm3. What is its mass?
2. A solid with a lower density will float on a liquid with a higher density. T or F
3. If two substances have the same mass, the one with the greater volume will have the greater density. T or F
4. The density of liquid A is 2.14g/mL and the density of liquid B is 1.46g/mL. When equal masses of these liquids are compared, liquid A will have the greater volume. T or F
5. A volume of 300 mL is the same as a volume of 30.0cm3. T or F
6. An experiment calls for 10.0 mL of bromine (d = 3.12 g/mL). Since an accurate balance is available, it is decided to measure the bromine by mass. How many grams should be measured out?
7. Water is placed in a graduated cylinder and the volume is recorded as 43.5 mL. A homogeneous sample of metal pellets with a mass of 10.88 g is added and the volume of the water now reads 49.4 mL. What is the density of the metal in g/mL?
8. How many m3 are there in 100 cm3?
9. How many millimeters are there in 0.010 km?
10. Which of the following is the smallest distance?
A) 1.0 mm B) 1.0 nm C) 1.0 m D) 1.0 km E) 1.0 dm
11. Which of the following is the largest volume?
A) 1 milliliter B) 1 deciliter C) 1 liter D) 1 decaliter E) 1 kiloliter
12. For the following measured numbers, the number of significant figures is indicated in parentheses. Which is correct?
A) 2038 (three) B) 40.04 (two)
C) 0.0130 (three)
D) 0.00142 (five)
E) 4 × 102 (two)
13. Which measurement is expressed using 3 significant figures?
A) 0.0232 kg B) 34.20 cm C) 68.003 g D) 10,550 m E) 222.0 km
14. The number of significant figures in 2.08 × 10−4 cm is ________.
A) 1 B) 2 C) 3 D) 4 E) 5
15. Express the following result to the proper number of significant figures.
16. Perform the indicated operations and give the answer in cm with the proper number of significant figures.
12.64 cm − 48 mm + 0.246 m = ?
17. What is the width of a 3.5 in. computer diskette in cm? (1 in. = 2.54 cm)
18. What is the volume, in L, of a 64.0 fluid ounce bottle? (1 L = 1.06 qt) (1 qt = 32 fl. oz.)
19. A 600. mL container has what volume in fluid ounces? (1 L = 1.06 qt) (1 qt = 32 fl. oz.)
20. Convert 1.39 ft/s to meters per minute. (1 m = 39.37 in.)
21. Convert 1.00 ft3 to cubic centimeters. (1 in. = 2.54 cm)
22. What would be the volume, in mL, of 1000 g of ethanol if the density of ethanol is 0.789 g/mL?
23. An experiment calls for 22.6 g of bromine (d = 3.12 g/mL). What volume, in mL, should be used?
24. Water is placed in a graduated cylinder and the volume is recorded as 43.5 mL. A homogeneous sample of metal pellets with a mass of 10.88 g is added and the volume of the water now reads 49.4 mL. What is the density of the metal in g/mL?
25. The mass of a flask is 38.1346 g empty and 63.1769 g when filled with water. When the flask is filled with an unknown liquid, its mass is 75.5778 g. Determine the density of the unknown liquid, in g/mL. (dH2O= 1.000 g/mL)
26. A recipe calls for 1.0 quart of water (d = 1.00 g / mL). What is the mass of water that is needed in grams? (1 L = 1.057 qt)
27. A fish tank holds 40 gallons of water (d = 1.00 g/mL) when full. What is the mass of this water in kilograms? (1 ga = 4 qt; 1.057 qt = 1 L)
28. Gasoline in the United States costs $1.749 per gallon. Elsewhere, the cost is typically reported in dollars per liter. What is the cost in dollars per liter? (1ga = 4 qt; 1.057qt =1 L)
29. Which SI unit is most appropriate to measure the distance between Chicago and Detroit? A) Millimeter B) Centimeter C) Meter D) Kilometer
30. Which SI unit is most appropriate to measure the thickness of a dime?
A) Meter B) Millimeter C) Decimeter D) Kilometer
31. What number is indicated by the SI prefix milli? A) 1/100 B) 1/1000 C) 100 D) 1000
32. When expressed in proper scientific notation the number 4289 is
33. When expressed in proper scientific notation the number 0.00364 is
34. When expressed in proper scientific notation the number 0.000034 is
35. Express the number 2.64 X 104 in normal notation
36. Express the number 3.00 X 102 in normal notation
37. Multiply: (5.24 X 104 ) (2.36 X 10-5 ). When expressed properly the product is
38. Divide: 3.724 X 10-3 by 2.46 X 104. When expressed properly the quotient is
39. Convert 184°F to degrees Celsius.
40. The high temperature during a summer day was observed to be 92°F. What was this temperature in °C?