Demonstrate an awareness and understanding of clinical decision making within the role of the Registered Nurse
The aim of this task is for you to demonstrate an awareness and understanding of clinical decision making within the role of the Registered Nurse. The clinical reasoning cycle (Levett-Jones, 2012) will be utilised to show the progression of your critical thinking process. Familiarisation with the clinical reasoning cycle will support you to provide quality care and will provide a foundation for your next essay in this course.
You are to write an essay which uses the clinical reasoning cycle (Levett-Jones, 2012) to present a case study of a clinical decision that you have been involved in. The clinical decision you select can be a decision that went well or one with a negative outcome. You only need to discuss one example of a clinical decision.
Examples of clinical decisions may include (but are not limited to):
• Responding to a change in the patient’s condition
• Care planning considering the patient’s present health status
• Reviewing planned patient interventions including medications
• Outcome from effective or ineffective communication
1) Explain the background situation, including current and related patient or case information and
other influencing factors related to the clinical decision.
2) Provide a clear description of the clinical decision making process incorporating the first seven of
the eight stages of the clinical reasoning cycle (Levett-Jones, 2012).
3) Explain the factors which influenced this clinical decision
4) Use literature where relevant to support the key points you make to demonstrate evidence based
• Always refer to the School of Nursing & Midwifery Writing and Referencing Guide for
formatting conventions and referencing guidelines
• Ensure that you use scholarly literature (digitised readings, research articles, relevant Government reports and text books) that has been published within the last 5 years.
• Provide a clear introduction, sound body and conclusion to your paper.
• You may use headings to organise your work if you wish.
• The use of first person can be utilised in your writing.
• Use academic language throughout.
• Refer to the marking guidelines when writing your assignment. This will assist you in calculating the weightings of the sections for your assignment
Assessment Type: Case Study Essay
Word Count: 1000 words
• State your word count (excluding your reference list) on the Assignment Coversheet.
Your written assignment must be submitted as:
Describes the purpose of the essay and gives an indication of the key points of the case study
2. BACKGROUND TO THE CASE STUDY
Describes the background to the case study including current and related patient or case
3. DESCRIPTION OF CLINICAL DECISION
Succinctly describes the chosen decision identified from the clinical case study
4. CLINICAL REASONING CYCLE
Clearly analyses the factors influencing the clinical decision in relation to the first seven of the
eight stages of the clinical reasoning cycle
5. RESEARCH AND USE OF EVIDENCE
Identifies analyses and uses good quality evidence to support the outlined relevant points. Uses
at least 5 sources published in the last 5 years
6. ACADEMIC WRITING
Skilful use of language, grammar, sentence and paragraph construction to create a logical
discussion focused on the topic
Succinctly summarises main points of the case study