Please note that the points for this discussion are zero as it will function either as a dropped assignment or extra credit if you have done all of the discussions this semester.
Topic #1 The Environmental Ramifications of Eating Meat
The first link is from the Environmental Working Group so please scroll through until you get to the health section which will be covered in topic #2
1. Is all meat created equal in terms of environmental damage? Please explain your answer.
2. What were the key findings from the Life cycle Assessment in terms of environmental ramifications.
3. What is the effect of food waste and transportation on emissions?
4. How does eating more vegetarian, impact overall emissions.
5. According to the National Geographic article, what are some of the controversies with regards to the emission issues?
6. How does food waste issue compare to the first article from the EWG?
Topic #2 The Health Implications of a Vegetarian Diet
This is the first thing I have asked anyone to pay for this semester as this is the first time the video is not free since I have been teaching this class. I think it is important enough to require it for this class in terms of the health ramifications of consuming a whole foods, plant based diet. The link below gives you several options and the most it will cost you is $2.99 (it is free on Netflix)
I. What health conditions associated with the Standard American Diet or current diet?
2. What health conditions are associated with an increased intake of protein and animal products?
3. What is the relationship between high protein intake and cancer?
4. What is the diet the movie recommends? What does this diet include and exclude?
5. What is the Pleasure Trap?
6. How is poverty associated with poor health and poor food choices?
7. Can you reverse heart disease and what is the relationship to endothelial function?
8. Who sets the dietary recommendations? What are some of the issues with that agency?